‘A freak thing’: exploding canister blamed for Terrigal fireworks mishap CHAOTIC: Fireworks exploding uncontrolled from a barge at Terrigal on Sunday night. It’s believed the cause was a firework that exploded while still inside its cannister.
CHAOTIC: Fireworks exploding uncontrolled from a barge at Terrigal on Sunday night. It’s believed the cause was a firework that exploded while still inside its cannister.
The owner of Ka-Boom Fireworks, Milton Skinner, in 2013.
DISAPPOINTED: Central Coast businessman David Lambert with his grandchildren. He was gutted that a fireworks mishap derailed Terrigal’s New Year’s celebrations, after he spent 12 months getting them off the ground.
TweetFacebookNewcastle Heraldunderstands it is believed to have been caused by a firework that exploded inside its canister, triggering a domino effect where other fireworks ignited that weren’t ready to explode.
Two technicians were forced to dive into the water and swim to safety as the barge caught alight, while revellers were evacuated from the foreshore.
The technicianswere shaken but uninjured.
It was a cruel turn of events for Mr Lambert, the former president of the TerrigalChamber of Commerce,after he devoted hundreds of unpaid hourstowards gettingthe eventoff the ground.
“I was very upset because seriously, it was a one-man vision,” he said.
“I was told it wouldn’t happen, I was told to give up, I couldn’t get the funding.In about June I was close to cancelling it, because we were just so short of money.
“But one thing led to another and more people came on board. I had an incredible amount of support.”
Mr Lamberthad to secure public liability insurance andrelevant approvals from Central Coast Council and emergency services.
Ka-Boom Fireworks was recommended to him by a council officer, he said.
“We did everything by the book,” Mr Lambertsaid.“It was just a freak thing.
“I’m going to have a crack again this year …look, the Titanic sank and we’ve still got steam boats.”