W-League: Super sub Gema Simon strikes late to save day for Newcastle Jets

SUPER sub Gema Simon celebrated her 100th A-League appearance with a last-minute equaliser to snatch the Newcastle Jets a valuable 2-all draw with Sydney FC at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday and retain second place.

SUPER SUB: Gema Simon came off the bench to score a late equaliser for the Newcastle Jets against Sydney FC.

The visitors trailed 2-0 inside 27 minutes after goals to Sydney duoKylie Ledbrook and Princess Ibini.

Captain Emily Van Egmond pulled a goal back for the Jets from the penalty spot in the 35thminute afterArin Gilliland was knocked over in the box.

Sydney had the better of the second half only for Simon to produce late heroics.

Playing her second game back from a knee injury, the Matilda slotted home from close range after fellow substitute Cortnee Vine knocked down a Hannah Brewer cross.

Simon, who was introduced in the 56thminute,was unlucky three minutes earlierwhen denied by a fantastic save by Aubrey Bledsoe. The American keeper followed up to parry Emily Van Egmond’s rebound.

Jets shotstopper Britt Ekerstrom also made a couple of big plays in a frenetic final 10 minutes.

The point moved the Jets to 17 points, one clear of the Sky Blues and four ahead of Perth and Canberra in fourth with five rounds remaining.

“We didn’t play as well as we can, but we hung in there and didn’t let the game get away from us, which it could have done,” coach Craig Deans said. “We showed desire to keep fighting and a draw wasn’t unfair. “

The Jets, chasing a fifth straight win, set the tone early. They pressed high up the pitch and forced errors from Sydney.

Clare Wheeler fired a shot over the barand Katie Stengel blazed wide.

Simon the hero as Newcastle grab point TweetFacebookWWL VIDEO GOAL | How @led11e gave @SydneyFC the lead in this crucial @WLeague clash vs @NewcastleJetsFC. Catch the 2nd half on @FOXSportsAUS or on the match centre https://t苏州夜场招聘/Y6h1i6W7w7#SydneyIsSkyBlue#SYDvNEWpic.twitter老域名购买/4dcyOtcXP1

— Sydney FC (@SydneyFC) January 3, 2018

The second half began in a similar vein to the first, with the Jets setting the tempo.

Tash Prior had a header cleared off the line on the hour as the visitors pushed and probed.

Sydney always looked dangerous one the break. But Leena Khamis went closest with a long-range effort which Ekerstrom tipped over the bar.

This entry was posted in 老域名出售. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.